Monday, November 15, 2010

An Open Letter to my MPs about Marriage Equality

Dear Sir

I know that this week you will be considering legislation in parliament that seeks to overcome a very significant aspect of legal discrimination against gay people right across Australia and I would like you to consider supporting it.

I remember that the traditional political respose to previous requests by gay people to have their relationships recognised as marriage has been to say that "marriage is a relationship between a man and a woman" therefore gay relationships can never be regarded as marriage. But marriage, as a word, can mean whatever we choose it to mean, and it seems to me that all gay people are asking for is access to the same legal privileges as married couples - next of kin status and inheritance rights, most significantly, as well as general acceptance by the community that there relationship is just as committed and meaningful as any traditional marriage.

I know, as well, that there are some within the Christian community to which I belong, who argue that the recognition of gay relationships would represent a threat to marriage and the family, and perhaps you agree with them. For the life of me, I can't see any self-evident truth to that proposition. If someone could demonstrate an actual way in which the affirmation of the relationship of a gay couple diminishes or undermines the relationship of a straight couple I would be pleased to listen to it and consider it, but I have heard none.

I really don't know why so many in society choose to create barriers for the everyday life of gay and lesbian people. I know many in both secular and religious circles and the sexuality makes no difference to their capacity to contribute positively to our community. I am sure you also know many gay and lesbian people through your public life. Please give them the same consideration as you would any other citizen in this matter of equity and access.

Yours sincerely

2 comments:

  1. Refer to your Bible, John..love, Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take the view, Jude, that those references in the Bible that seem to be about homosexuality are about something quite different from two people of the same sex being in love with each other and committing themselves to a lifelong relationship together.

    The Bible condemns the kind of rape that occurs in military situations such as we saw in Iraq. The Bible condemns the kind of prostitution that happens around temples. The Bible condemns these because they are an abuse of power or a corruption of our relationship with God.

    ReplyDelete